After driving to your desired location and setting up your camping place, it’s time to reward yourself with cold beverages and some delish food. But to get fresh food and drink, you need something to preserve them. A portable fridge or a cooler is a perfect choice for performing the job. However, among so many brands and models on the markets, what are the best portable fridges and coolers for camping? Let’s find out.
- 1 What makes a great camping fridge?
- 2 Things you should know when using a camping fridge
- 3 Best portable fridges for camping
- 4 Best coolers for your references
- 5 Bottom line
What makes a great camping fridge?
A fridge with large capacity often needs higher power consumption and takes more time to move into your car.
For camping trips, a small portable fridge is suitable and convenient, but it is usually a costly item on your camping list. Even though it’s worth your investment but you don’t have to buy the most expensive one.
Choosing the most suitable camping fridge depends on many factors such as the numbers of people, whether you want to freeze your food or not, how you plan to use your fridge and your preferences.
However, the best portable fridge freezer should have the following features:
It must be portable because this is the most important feature that makes you feel convenient and comfortable when bring along lots of food and drinks.
It is best if the fridge has durable construction like hard casings or sturdy hinges. With these features, it can withstand the rigors that may happen during the camping trips.
Common casing materials are metal and plastic. Metal is hard, sturdy and suitable for heavy duty fridges. Plastic is also a good option for family tours or picnics.
This function will help you keep your food and beverage stay fresh and cool better.
Most 12-volt portable fridges can use a car’s battery. You should buy a model with “low battery setting’’ that will keep your car’s battery from draining out.
It is better if you can adjust and monitor internal temperature from an interface to make sure your food and drinks are in good condition.
This feature is necessary in a good fridge. It should be well insulated against cold leakage.
It enable you to clean the fridge easier.
Things you should know when using a camping fridge
- Let your food cool prior to placing them in the camping fridge.
- Arrange the packing smartly. Place the food you will eat first in the easiest place to get.
- It is better to keep your camping fridge full because an empty fridge is less power-efficient.
- Use the thick power cable to have minimal electrical resistance and maximum voltage supply. You can save power by this method.
- Get ready with spare fuses for your camping fridge or freezer
- Adjust the temperature to maximize power usage. Set the temperature to the coldest degree and lower it as you reach the location.
- Do not put your camp fridge under direct sunlight, keep it away from the sun.
Further reading: Portable Fridges for Camping – The Buying Guide
Best portable fridges for camping
1. Whynter FM-452SG 45 Quart Slimfit
Dimensions: 14.5 x 27 x 20 inches
Weight: 52 pounds
Capacity: 45 quart (51 liters)
- Save space
- Door-open alarm
- Tough and solid outer
- Consistent temperature
- Work as a fridge or freezer
- With insulated lid and walls
- Function well even when tilted 30°
- Drain plug for easy cleaning
- Quick freeze mode, cools to -8°F
- Attached with 2 removable wire baskets
- Stainless and durable steel side handles
- Adjustable temperature ranges from -8°F to 50°F
Whynter FM-452SG fridge will keep your food and beverage chilled or frozen for perfect camping days.
With space-saving features, the Whynter fridge can stand cleanly against a wall or fit into any corners. The unit has interior LED lighting that makes it easier to organize and take out your food and drinks. It also has a door open alarm when temperature drops suddenly.
With the adjustable temperature display, you can control over the interior temperature as you wish.
- Affordable price
- Excellent with low energy mode
- Good temperature range and control
- Small capacity
Whynter FM-452SG 45 Quart Slimfit is durable, excellent in temperature control and moderate price. It is an ideal appliance for campsites and outdoor trips.
2. ICECO 74 VL Fridge Freezer
Dimensions: 32.3 x 19.4 x 19.6 inches
Capacity: 78 Quarts
Cooling range: from 0°F to 50°F(-18℃~10℃)
- Interior lights
- 3-level battery protection
- Use a DC cord and an AC cable
- Metal shell and thick inner wall
- 5-year warranty on the compressor
- SECOP Compressor helps the fridge runs well even under 40° tilt
The ICECO 74 VL chest fridge freezer is suitable for a large group or a family in a long trip. As it is durable and multi-functional, this fridge is best fit the camp kitchen.
Fast chilling function can get your food cool quickly within 30 minutes after operation. It is built to withstand a tough adventure with the durability to avoid any negative impacts during the trip.
Moreover, it is impressed users when it can run properly on rough roads and on 40º angles.
The Max function that allow to quickly cool down the inside food, or the Eco mode can be used when you do not need the fridge work at full power to save energy.
- CFC free
- Max and Eco functions
- Variable temperature control
- Long warranty for compressor
- Interior LED light for easy access
- Large storage capacity with 74 liters
- Robust and shockproof make it durable
- 12/24V DC and 110V to 240V AC, with power supply cords include
- Slightly noisy when operating
With many useful functions and sturdy materials, the ICECO 74 VL Chest fridge freezer would be a great choice for any journey including your camping tour.
3. AstroAI Portable Refrigerator
Dimensions: 26.4 x 15.5 x 14.4 inches
Weight: 27 pounds
Capacity: 22 Liters
- LED display
- Max and Eco modes
- Cool your food quickly
- Adjustable the temperature (between -4 °F and 68 °F)
- Can charge your electronic devices with USB port
The AstroAI Portable Fridge is durably design, so it operates perfectly on the road. Besides, the fridge is quick in cooling your food. It has both Max and Eco modes and can get down to minus 4 Fahrenheit in an hour.
As a 12v fridge, it can both run on car’s battery and a wall socket at home. Besides, it also has smart battery system that warning you about your car battery level.
Other notable functions that bring users benefits are adjustable temperature, multiple modes, USB charging.
- Durable and tough
- Maximum low temp of -4℉
- Comes in different sizes to choose from
- USB charging port for electronic devices
- Smart battery system that enables your car will start properly
- Doesn’t come with great instructions
- Take longer time in cooling your food (in 1 hour), compared to some other fridges.
Overall, AstroAI Portable Fridge is camping fridge with affordable price. It can also be a great choice as a gift for friend or the one you love.
4. Euhomy Refrigerator
Dimensions: 27.17 x 13.58 x 20.63 inches
Weight: 36.4 pounds
Capacity: 55 Liter (59 Quart)
- With two zones (fridge 10L and freezer 45L)
- With 120/240V AC and 12/24V DC adapters
- Handle design is convenient to move
- Can still run stably at an inclination angle of 30 degrees,
- LCD touch panel
- Set any temperature between -4℉-68℉ (-20℃-20℃)
- Bluetooth mode, with a mobile app
- UL energy-saving certification
- Noise only 40 decibels when it is running
The Euhomy camping fridge has Bluetooth remote-control that creates the convenience for users on camping trips.
It ensures the energy efficiency with a tough and well insulated outer shell. Two separated compartments for fridge and freezer will support to keep food and drinks safe and fresh.
You can set, monitor, and control the temperature with your mobile phone as well as you can choose the Max mode if you want quick cooling or the Eco mode to maintains coolness without using the battery. One thing that you may feel uncomfortable is that the LCD display is not very big.
- Operate quietly
- Power efficient
- Bluetooth remote control
- Dual fridge and freezer zones
- Adjustable temperature range (from -4℉ to 68℉)
- Eco and Max mode for fast or efficient cooling
- The LCD display is not big enough
As a 12-volt fridge with many useful features and friendly budget, The Euhomy camping fridge is perfect for long trips into the outdoors.
5. Kalamera Portable Refrigerator, 52 Quarts
Dimensions: 27.8 x 14.4 x 19.7 inches
Capacity: 52 Quart
Weight: 37.7 pounds
Temperature range: from -4℉ to 50℉
- Energy saving
- Durable handles
- Drain plug
- Digital control panel
- Turbo and Eco modes
- Battery protection system
- Run well when tilting within 45°
- Quickly drop the temperature from 77℉ to 32℉ (in 15 minutess)
Kalamera Portable Fridge Freezer has large capacity refrigerators with 52 quarts, so it can provide ample space for your food, snacks and other beverages. It is considered a perfect choice people who love traveling or adventurous trips. With wide range of temperature, you can set up suitable temperature to store different stuff needed for your camping kitchen and keep them cool and fresh during the journey.
- Fast cooling
- Irregular temperature
Kalamera Portable Fridge is great for camping out or going to the park and keeps your beverage cold for any barbecues or picnics.
Best coolers for your references
1. Mobicool MCF40 – Compressor Cooler
Dimensions: 23 x 14.4 x 17.6 inches
Weight: 25 pounds
Capacity: 38 Liters
- Light and easy to bring
- Powerful compressor
- Many colors to choose from
The Mobilcool MCF40 is not a big cooler but you can store enough food and drinks for a short camping trip.
2. Coleman Ice Chest 100 Quart Wheeled
Capacity: 100 Quarts
Color: Rock Gray
- Easy cleaning
- Heavy-duty wheels
- Ice can last up to 5 days
- Lid to keep drinks from spilling
- Leakproof channel with drain plug
- Durable tow and swing-up handles
- Make use as a seat lid which supports up to 250 pounds
This cooler is perfect for storing food and drinks of a whole family or s group of friends in an outdoor adventure.
3. RTIC Hard Cooler, 65 Quart
Weight: 15.8 kg (34.9 pounds)
Capacity: 63 L (65 Quart)
- Very durable
- With two drains
- Good performance
- Comfortable handle grips
- Heavy-duty rubber latches
- Good insulation with 3-inch insulated walls
- A tough cooler for every excursion, including off-road
RTIC Hard Cooler is a durable, solid cooler that is perfect not only for camping but also for other journeys.
4. OtterBox Venture Cooler, 65 Quart
Weight: 15.5 kg (34.1 pounds)
Capacity: 62 L (65 Quart)
- Durable walls
- Large capacity
- Decent insulation
- Oddly shaped package
- Tough and user-friendly latches
With anti-slide rubber feet and rugged structure, the OtterBox Venture Cooler will keep your food and drinks secure for outdoor trips.
5. Engel 65 – High Performance Hard Cooler
Capacity: 65 Quart
Weight: 26 Pounds
- 10-year warranty
- Silicone airtight gasket
- Non-marking rubber feet
- UV-resistant construction
- IGBC Certified bear resistant container
Engel 65 is not only best in keeping ice up to 10 days but also perfect as a hard cooler.
6. Coleman Cooler 54-Quart
Dimensions: 24.7 x 17.4 x 16.9 inches
Weight: 19.1 Pounds
Capacity: 54L (54 Quart)
- High capacity
- Heavy-duty cooler
- Comfort-grip steel handles
- With charming retro designs
- With rust-resistant stainless steel
- Premium insulation that makes 4-day ice retention
This steel-belted cooler can keep 85 cans and suitable for camping, BBQs, and other outdoor activities.
7. Coleman Rolling Cooler 70 Quartz Xtreme
Dimensions: 27.95 x 18.11 x 15.75 inches
Weight: 7.1 Pounds
Capacity: 70 Quarts
- Large capacity
- Super lightweight
- Decent insulation for the price
The Coleman cooler is the trusty brand of cooler in providing storage needs for your camping trips, outdoor parties, or BBQs.
With spacious interior, it is large enough to hold 85 cans. You can have plenty of space for keeping food and drinks for a whole group of people.
With leak-resistant drain, you can easily clean the cooler. It can keep the ice up to 5 day at temperatures up to 90 °F.
Buying the most suitable portable fridge will bring comforts of home into the great outdoors. A camping fridge freezer can be perfect for road trips, picnics, or overnight camping adventures.
Besides, coolers are also good options if you want a simple appliance with low price to keep food and beverage cool for the camping trips.
The above portable fridges and coolers are wonderful choices. Depending on your budget and specific needs and preferences, hopefully you can choose the one that most suitable for you.