It is common to freeze fruits and vegetables to keep them fresh longer. However, if there is any freezer burn arising, this might be a serious problem. The following article will show you how to deal with this issue.
The main reason for freezer burn on vegetables and fruit
Any food which is stored for such a long time in the freezer can suffer from freezer burn. The main reason for the issue is the loss of moisture.
Fruit and vegetables are types of food with high water content. Water from these foods can form a huge number of ice crystals once being frozen.
Besides, oxygen molecules will move into these fruits and veggies to take their place. This is how your food gets freezer burn.
Further reading: The 7 Best Small Freezers 2021
Is freezer burn bad for fruit and vegetables?
Freezer burn will have a negative impact on color, texture, and flavor of your fruits and veggies. After getting freezer burn, your foods become drier, tougher, and even darker in terms of color.
However, it is still safe enough to eat these fruits and vegetables. This issue does not lead to any change in the nutritional value of your food.
How to prevent freezer burn on vegetables and fruit?
There are some useful ways you should consider to keep vegetables and fruits away from being freezer burnt. Here’s how:
- Make sure your food is totally dried before freezing. If not, it can develop freezer burn quickly through the high level of water inside.
- Maintain the temperature at 0-degree Fahrenheit or below. If the freezer is cold enough, it can freeze your food very quickly, thus reducing ice crystal buildup.
- Wrap your food carefully. You can use paper or plastic wrap to cover your food before putting them into freezer bags.
- Get rid of as much air as possible from the packaging of fruit and veggies. It is not great to let your food expose to the air inside the freezer because it can increase the risk of freezer burn.
- Do not open your freezer too often. If you open the door of the freezer too many times, this can make the internal temperature fluctuates.
- Avoid keeping your fruit and veggies inside the freezer for so long. You can note the date outside the containers so that you can use them within an acceptable period of time.
How to prepare vegetables and fruit for freezing?
It is necessary for you to freeze your food in the proper way to reduce all kinds of risk in both short and long term.
- Blanch your veggies in boiling water from 2 to 3 minutes
- Move all blanched vegetables in the cold water to cool down
- Give them time to dry out completely
- Arrange your veggies into different freezer bags
Further reading: Best Containers for Freezing Food
- Wash your fruits with clean water
- Spread all fruits on the baking or cooking sheet to drain
- Transfer fruits into sealable freezer safe bags
Further reading: How to Store Fruit in a Mini Fridge to Keep It Fresh Longer?
Which vegetables and fruits can you freeze for longer use?
- Vegetables: peas, cauliflower, green beans, corn, broccoli, carrots, winter greens, celery, pepper, herb, and Brussels sprouts.
- Fruits: apples, oranges, bananas, peaches, kiwi, cherries, mangoes, nectarines, and all types of berries.
Are frozen fruits and vegetables healthy?
Freezing is a great method to keep fruits and veggies from any spoilage in the long run. This will help to maintain the nutritional value of your food more effectively compared to other storage methods.
How long should you freeze your vegetables and fruits?
Most vegetables and fruits can stay in the freezer for up to 18 months. In fact, the storage time depends mainly on the way you freeze your food.
Is freezer burned food safe enough to eat?
You should check your food carefully to know whether it gets freezer burn. It is possible for you to remove any damaged part and keep the remaining. And it does not lead to any severe health issues when eating these foods.
Freezer burn is one of the most popular problems you have to deal with when storing your fruits and vegetables. It is more likely for them to get freezer burn because of the high water content. Therefore, you need to apply several methods to give your food the best protection in all circumstances.
1. What Is Freezer Burn, allrecipes.com, March 29, 2021
2. How to Freeze Fruits and Vegetables, allrecipes.com, March 04, 2021