Once freezing your food, you should keep them in different safe bags. Not only can this help to save more space but it also protects your food more effectively. Let’s read the following article to figure out the most suitable freezer bags for foods like meat, veggies and liquids.
Some features of reusable bags safe for freezer
- Eco-friendly: Reusable bags are known as the eco-friendly option for food storage. It is safe enough to use in the freezer as well.
- Made from PEVA or silicone: These bags are made from PEVA or silicone which is more durable than other types of materials. So, they can reduce the risk of splitting food and last for longer.
- Endure frozen temperature: Reusable bags can handle the extremely cold easily, at up to minus 51 degrees Fahrenheit. Therefore, it is difficult for them to be frozen along with the food inside.
- Do not have leaks: Another advantage of these bags is that it does not cause the leakage of any toxic chemicals which can harm the quality of your food.
Further reading: Best Containers for Freezing Food
What are the benefits of reusable freezer bags?
Compared to other plastic bags or single use bags, reusable freezer bags have following advantages:
- Reduce plastic waste
- Keep food safe and fresh
- Prevent food from freezer burn
- Preserve food last longer and taste better
- Save your money
- Clean easily
- Protect your health
- Can be put in microwave for cooking
As an eco-friendly container, it can help to protect our environment by less plastics released. Besides, it can be used for other purposes such as storing different things like medicines, kid’s snacks or keeping documents, electronic devices from getting wet.
Which reusable freezer bags are the most suitable for meat, veggies and liquids?
EcoLifeMate reusable storage bag
It is made from high grade silicone so that it is totally safe to store meat, liquids, fruit, or vegetables. This Ziploc bag with airtight seal can protect the internal food properly. Besides, it is usable for dishwashers or sous-vide cookers.
Caon reusable bags
This is the best option for storing liquids with 1000ml size. Silicone and rubber are used to produce these bags to maintain the best quality of your food. Specially, the nozzle structure design makes it simpler to pour any liquid into the bags for freezing.
SPLF reusable bags
It is convenient for you to use this bag to keep your sandwich, breads, veggies or meat. It is made from PVA which does mean that it is free of BPA and lead. In addition, the SPLF bags are waterproof and airtight with the double lock zipper.
Homelux Theory reusable bags
The set comes with 3 large and 4 medium silicone bags. It is suitable for microwave, freezer, oven, and dishwasher. This is because these bags can withstand temperatures ranging from -76°F to 428°F. And the airtight and leak proof seal is helpful to protect the food well.
Inspiratek Reusable Storage Bags
The set includes 6 bags with an extra thick design that can make the bags more durable. These bags are leak-proof, lightweight and made of PEVA which is safe for both environment and health. Even though they are washable, hand-wash is recommended to keep the seal safe and last longer.
Inspiratek reusable bag is freezer safe and easy to use with wide opening. It is suitable for storing meat, fruits, veggies and even liquids.
Especially, the double slide zipper is simple for kids, so this bag can be a perfect choice for school snacks and kid’s lunch.
Tips to store food in the freezer bags
- Use the suitable size bags for different types of food
- Press the bags to make sure that there is no air left inside the bags to avoid freezer burn
- Wrap your food carefully before transferring them into freezer bags
- Seal the bags tightly to prevent any spilling
- Label the freezer bags with a date to use them within a proper time frame
- Check the bags regularly to determine if they have any wear and tear
Why should you use reusable freezer bags instead of commercial ones?
The reusable freezer bags should be used because they are:
- Safe for both environment and your frozen food
- Free of toxic chemicals which can poison you when storing so long
- Helps to save money because you can reuse these bags several times
- More durable and highly resistant to low temperature
- Not only waterproof but also leak proof with airtight seal
How long does a reusable freezer bag last?
Normally, it is possible for you to make use of your reusable bags within 3 to 5 years. With proper storage and clean, your bags can remain their great quality for longer.
How to clean reusable storage bags?
Reusable bags are made of Silicone and PEVA, so they are partially water repellent. Therefore, you do not have to spend much time scraping food. However, you should clean your bags gently with following steps:
Step 1: Clean the inside of the bag. To make sure all corners are completely clean, you should fill the bag about 1/4 with water, close the lid, and swish water around. Then, use a small brush to remove the stubborn food debris away.
Step 2: Create a cleaning mixture. You can use baking soda, distilled white vinegar, and lemon juice in equal parts.
Step 3: Apply the mixture all over the inside of the bag and wait for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Step 4: Rinse the bag thoroughly with warm water and put it in a cool dry place or dry it with a towel.
Is a plastic bag unsafe for your health?
In fact, plastic bags are indicated to release several harmful substances into your food. This will lead to many serious health issues for humans in the long run, such as:
- Chronic inflammation
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Autoimmune conditions
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Are all reusable bags safe for dishwashers and microwaves?
Not all of the available reusable bags are good enough to use with dishwashers or microwaves. You need to pay more attention to the manufacturers’ guidelines while using these products.
Reusable bags are great for your consideration to store different types of food in the freezer. You can benefit a lot from using these high-quality bags. In case you would like to reuse the bags much longer, you should store and clean them properly.
Are Reusable Freezer Bags An Eco-Friendly Answer, bioenergyconsult.com, Oct. 24, 2020