If you want to move the mini refrigerator from its original location, you should not ignore it but need to plan and consider this issue. Let’s look at how to properly transport the mini-fridge to make sure it doesn’t get damaged when plugged in again. This article will help you answer the above question and provide you with things not to be missed when transporting a mini refrigerator.
A brief overview of the mini fridge structure
Mini refrigerator is a refrigerator with a small size, capacity not exceeding 100 liters. Mini fridge consists of 5 basic parts: Compressor, evaporator, condenser, refrigerant and throttle valve.
- Compressor: The types of compressors used mainly in mini refrigerators are those with one to two pistons. The compressor rotates into reciprocating motion of the piston. The function of the compressor is to draw refrigerant at the evaporator and maintain the pressure necessary for evaporation to take place at a low temperature and compress the vapor to condenser pressure, pushing it into the condenser.
- Condenser: The task of the condenser is to exchange heat between the condensing refrigerant and the cooling medium. The condenser helps to release the heat of the condensate to the environment. With such a function, the condenser head is installed with the compressor ejector and the condenser outlet is fitted with a filter dryer, and then connected to the capillary. Condenser is made of iron or copper, equipped with a heat sink.
- Evaporator: The evaporator helps to exchange heat between the refrigerant and the environment to be cooled. The operating mechanism of the evaporator is to collect heat from the cold environment to supply the refrigerant. The position of the stage is behind the capillary or throttle valve, in front of the compressor.
- Throttle: Helps reduce the pressure and temperature of the refrigerant as it flows through the throttle.
- Refrigerant: It is a volatile liquid that helps to create a cold temperature in a mini refrigerator. Many technologies use pure ammonia as a refrigerant. The evaporation temperature of the refrigerant is about -32ºC.
Further reading: 10 Best Mini Fridges with Freezer
Can you transport a mini fridge on its side?
Usually, because of its compact size, mini refrigerators are quite easy to move. However, not every way to move is okay. The process of moving the mini refrigerator you need to make sure that the device will not be damaged and still work well. So can you transport a mini refrigerator on its side?
According to the recommendations of experts, you should not transport the mini refrigerator on its side. Because the components inside the mini fridge will be damaged or out of position if moved this way. It’s best to move it vertically in any case.
Remember not to move the mini fridge on its side. Otherwise, your mini fridge may lead to permanent damage.
Before transporting the mini fridge, you should plan to move it carefully and safely. It’s best to put it in a box with foam padding and don’t let anything rest on top of it. This will help in keeping the mini fridge in good working order after using it again. You can learn some of the following guidelines to safely transport your mini fridge.
Tips for safely moving mini fridges
Keep it balanced
You should keep the mini fridge upright at all times when moving it. Many people think that because the mini refrigerator has a compact design and small size, it should be lightly transported. However, like other refrigerators, mini refrigerators should not be shaken or tilted too much when moving.
Otherwise, the parts will move out of place or damage resulting in the mini refrigerator will not be able to operate.
Therefore, always make sure that it is transported vertically always upright and balanced
Make sure not to bump
When moving the mini-fridge, keep it as quiet as possible. If you’re moving the mini-fridge with a truck, reduce its shock while on the road by placing the mini-fridge in a box that includes foam pads to prevent collisions. This is the best way to make sure the internal components don’t come loose during the move!
In addition, when moving the refrigerator, you should pay special attention not to let it hit objects or walls. This is very easy to affect the internal parts of the mini refrigerator.
Protect your mini fridge as much as you can.
In addition, another point to keep in mind is to keep the power plug safe.
You should rewind the coil and use something to secure the plug securely. Avoid broken or damaged plugs. Normally, the plug will be easily damaged during transportation, so you must tie it in place, do not let the plug dangle when moving the refrigerator. Because it is very easy to be bumped and damaged.
What happens if you transport a mini fridge on its side?
Based on the structure of the mini refrigerator, you will know this. When transporting the mini fridge on its side, oil from the compressor will flow out and enter the cooling lines, clogging them, resulting in components unable to function normally.
If you must move the mini fridge on its side, you can try and minimize oil leaks from the compressor by placing the mini fridge on its side with the compressor hose facing up.
However, we do not guarantee the risk side of this movement. Because placing the refrigerator on its back will cause the weight of the refrigerator to damage its internal components, even if no impact occurs, due to gravity.
In addition, some manufacturers specifically warn not to move the mini-fridge horizontally in any case due to the placement of the mini-refrigerator system. You should consider carefully and choose to avoid damage to your mini refrigerator.
How to safely transport a mini fridge?
Transport a newly bought fridge
- Move it carefully, place the refrigerator on a flat surface.
- Just place the refrigerator on the ground for about 4 – 8 hours to help it stabilize.
- Plug in the power.
- After the temperature stabilizes, you put the food inside the refrigerator.
Move the used a compact mini refrigerator to another location
- Take out all the food.
- Remove the shelves to the outside. This is to reduce weight and prevent them from getting disturbed, bump into each other and cause cracks.
- Unplug the refrigerator.
- Defrost and dry the refrigerator before moving, if your mini fridge has a freezer.
- Close the door tightly so that it does not open when moving it.
- Move the fridge gently and safely to minimize the collision with other furniture, corridors and walls. When moving the refrigerator down or up the stairs, it’s best to have 2 people.
- Put the fridge in the new location, let it stabilize the gas for about 3 hours, then plug it in and start using it.
You may also like: How to Use a Mini Fridge Safely and Efficiently?
You should not transport the mini fridge on its side because this is a very high-risk method. Please be careful while transporting the mini refrigerator and make sure it is completely safe during transportation.
Hope the article can help you in transporting the mini fridge.
How to transport a mini fridge on its side, dropbymyhouse.com, Retrieved on Mar. 25, 2022