With a portable ice maker at home, you will be free from buying bags of ice or filling up the ice trays. Ice maker machine is fantastic for parties or family gatherings, it will make enough ice cubes with different shapes for everyone. So, what is the best portable ice maker for home?
- 1 Advantages of a portable ice maker
- 2 What to look for when buying a portable ice maker for your home
- 3 The 10 best portable ice makers for home use
- 3.1 1. Best overall: NewAir
- 3.2 2. Most wish for: Frigidaire EFIC189
- 3.3 3. Budget friendly: AGLUCKY
- 3.4 4. Best for travel: COSTWAY
- 3.5 5. Best self-cleaning: Igloo ICEB26HNAQ
- 3.6 6. Most affordable: Silonn Ice Maker
- 3.7 7. Best for quick ice: Euhomy
- 3.8 8. Best for small space: Prime Home Direct
- 3.9 9. Best for variety: VIVOHOME
- 3.10 10. Best large ice bucket: Frigidaire EFIC103-AMZ-SC
- 4 The bottom line
Advantages of a portable ice maker
A portable ice maker could be a perfect option for your home if you are finding a fast way to make ice, you want to save space in freezer or you feel tired of filling the ice trays to make ice cubes every day.
Here are just a few advantages that make a portable ice maker is a good solution.
You can bring your ice maker to anywhere like camping, road trip or backyard party. It will produce enough ice cubes for family’s drinks and for the kids.
Having an available source of ice is extremely good for drivers of trucks, vans or boat owners. A portable ice machine can come in handy and help people on the go feel relax on long trips.
With a simple DC adapter, it can operate anywhere there is an outlet to plug it in. Designed with compact form, it can be put on the countertop, does not take much place, and conveniently fit on the small space available in vans, cars or boats.
Easy to use
It is quite easy to work, even children and elderly can use it. With a few simple steps including pour water into the tank, turn the machine on, and the ice cubes are ready in about 10 minutes.
Fantastic in making variety of ice
The ice maker can make a variety of ice shapes for different purposes at home, restaurants, or coffee shops. It has fantastic option that you can select the size of the ice cubes, small or big.
What to look for when buying a portable ice maker for your home
Once you have decided to buy an ice maker for home use, it’s better to consider the following factors to make sure you have right purchasing decision.
There are not many differences in ice production among portable ice makers, normally ranging from about 20 to 30 pounds in 24 hours. A few ice machines have bigger capacity of 40 or 50 pounds, but this is too much for daily use of a family of 4 or 6 members.
Depending on your needs of using ice, you can consider which one to buy. Besides, you need to consider the time for making a batch of ice as well as how many cubes each batch.
You should look for an ice maker that can produce different ice sizes. Some machines offer up to three options for the size including small, medium and large. Many other ice makers do not.
It’s up to your preference that you may choose the favorite style or design of the machine. Most portable ice makers have modern finishes. The stainless steel is most preferred because it perfectly harmonizes with the kitchen. However, you should choose a style that best flows with the existing style.
Further reading: How to Reset an Igloo Ice Maker
Type of ice maker
To buy a suitable ice maker for home use, here are some popular types that you should consider.
- Portable ice makers: They are perfect for kitchen, and you can keep ice always available, especially for parties or family gatherings. These portable ice makers are the best choice for any home.
- Built-in / Undercounter ice makers: These ice makers are designed to put under the counter and should be harmony with the overall kitchen theme. They often have larger capacity for ice producing and storing.
- Outdoor ice makers: They are great options for your home if you love outdoor parties. As designed for outdoor, these ice machines have better insulation and can withstand slightly higher temperatures to maintain the ice cold for longer.
Type of ice
If you love different shapes of ice cubes, you should look for ice machine that can produce these common ice shapes.
- Half cube
Buying an ice machine with innovative features will bring lots of benefits. Look for the following useful functions:
- Removable basket
- Energy star certified
- Automatic ice level control
- White LED interior light for energy efficiency
- Reversible door that allows you open on the right or left side
The 10 best portable ice makers for home use
1. Best overall: NewAir
- 3 size bullet-shaped ice
- Automatic shut off to prevent overflowing
- Indicators alert when water reservoir is empty or too low
- Can produce 50 pounds of ice daily, 12 pieces of ice in about 7 minutes
NewAir ice maker can produce a large amount of ice cubes, 50 pounds of ice per day. With compact design, it can fit any small space like a corner or kitchen countertops.
2. Most wish for: Frigidaire EFIC189
- Stainless steel
- Large transparent window
- Produce ice in about 6 minutes
- Alert when water level is low, or basket is full
- Can produce 2 ice sizes and 26 pounds of ice cubes per day
With compact and modern design, Frigidaire EFIC189 is easy to move and stylish to display. It’s ideal for small kitchens and narrow spaces like trucks, boats, dorm rooms.
3. Budget friendly: AGLUCKY
- Energy saving
- Transparent window
- Offer two sizes of ice, small & large
- Operate silently with quiet cooling system
- Produce the round and bullet-shaped ice cubes
- Can produces 9 ice cubes within only 6-8 minutes, 26 pounds a day
The cooling effect of current AGLUCKY is better than previous generations. This enables the process of making ice safer and more efficient. With AGLUCKY, you can keep the fresh taste of chilled drinks and enjoy them whenever you like.
4. Best for travel: COSTWAY
- High-power compressor
- Produce two sizes, small & large ice cubes
- Bullet-shaped ice, easy to clean and user-friendly
- Indicators alert when basket is full, or the water tank lacks water
- Equipped with outlet and drain plug that is easy to empty the water
- Produce up to 26 pounds of ice per day, 9 ice cubes within only 6-10 minutes
Costway countertop ice maker can produce enough ice cubes for your guests in a party with cold drinks such as chilled wine, whisky, beer, juice, and soda, …
It operates quietly with low noise. It’s energy-efficient and environmentally friendly when using R134a refrigerant. The durable ABS surface is anti-smudge and smooth.
5. Best self-cleaning: Igloo ICEB26HNAQ
- Electric, countertop
- Automatic self-cleaning
- With handle and LED lights
- With electronic control panel
- Can store 1.2 pounds of ice each time
- Produce 26 pounds in 24 hours, 9 ice cubes ready in 7 minutes
With carry handle, it is easy and convenient to move anywhere. The machine is not only stylist, but also keeps your drinks chilled.
6. Most affordable: Silonn Ice Maker
- Transparent lid
- 2 sizes of bullet ice
- Operate quietly with the noise is lower than 35dB
- Produce 26 pounds in 24 hours, 9 cubes ready in 6 minutes
- Sensor automatically detect when basket is full, and it stops making ice
Silonn ice maker is designed to make ice quickly for immediate use, so you cannot store ice or keep frozen ice. It’s a good choice for kitchen countertops, parties, picnics, and boats.
7. Best for quick ice: Euhomy
- LCD & digital display
- Efficient & quiet cooling
- Capable of producing 5 cycles and making 120 ice cubes
- Make 40 pounds in 24 hours, 24 ice cubes in 13 minutes
The machine produces enough ice cubes for you to enjoy parties with your family or friends. It’s also perfect for camping and family picnic.
8. Best for small space: Prime Home Direct
- Light, flexible
- Automatic turnoff
- Compact, portable
- Easy to bring anywhere
- 26 pounds of ice per day
- Quiet and energy efficient
As an energy-efficient portable ice machine, the Prime Home Direct will offer convenience to enjoy indoor or outdoor parties with cold drinks.
9. Best for variety: VIVOHOME
- Compact, countertop
- Operates at low noise
- See-through window on top
- Overflow protection function
- A batch of ice in 6 to10 minutes
- Produce 26 pounds of bullet ice cubes in 24 hours
- Light indicator is on when the reservoir is low, or ice bucket is full
The VIVOHOME ice maker will produce ice cubes to serve cold drinks or classic cocktails. Make and enjoy some refreshments right in your kitchen.
10. Best large ice bucket: Frigidaire EFIC103-AMZ-SC
- Heavy duty
- Stainless steel
- 26 pounds in 24 hours
- With over-sized ice bucket
- Finish a batch of ice in around 6 minutes
- 3 ice cube sizes including small, medium, and large
In minutes, you can make ice cubes for hot summer days. Having compact and contemporary design, the Frigidaire is easy to transport and makes your kitchen be more stylish.
Further reading: Cleaning Ice Machine with Bleach: Is It Safe? and How to Do It?
It’s very convenient to have a portable ice maker at home. You will have hygienic ice cubes for cold drinks, save time for filling the ice trays or going to buy the bags of ice for family parties.
You can consider one of the recommended ice makers above to choose the most suitable machine for you home.
Benefits of Portable Ice Makers, learn.compactappliance.com, Retrieved on Jan. 17, 2022